Monday, October 3, 2016

03 of 31 Horror Films I've Never Seen 2016: Let Us Prey (2014)

If you haven't figured it out yet, I have be severely lacking in my recent film watching.  Truth be told while I was managing a movie theatre I found myself making more time for restorations of classics than catching the up and comers.  While I have seen a great great great number of films in the last 16 or 17 years of my life (when I became utterly addicted) I seem to constantly be at least 5 years behind most people when it comes to pop-culture.  So, while some may be surprised at me for taking so long it's still kind of a thrill to discover what I missed.  While it's not perfect and the title is absolutely ridiculous, Brian O'Malley's Let Us Prey takes the idea of spiritual vengeance to almost gonzo heights.


The plot is actually quite simple.  Set in a small Scottish Police office, PC Rachel Heggie (Pollyanna McIntosh) has a literal night of hell on her first day of work.  Her co-workers are assholes and along with the guests in the holding cells have some rather dark secrets that start to come out from the influence of a strange and supernatural character, hitherto referred as '6', played by the always enjoyable Liam Cunningham, named for the cell he ultimately ends up in.


While the plot is, honestly, nothing to write home about, the dialogue is decent and the acting and style are on point.  This is one of those films that doesn't exactly innovate but poses the question of what if vengeance and retribution could manifest in a physical form.  The characters, minus Heggie and 6 all have some serious dark sins and, if you haven't figured out from the title alone, they must pay for those sins.  The film is full of metaphorical imagery from the start, including (and I'm so excited I get to write this) a large murder of crows, a man who comes from nowhere, the darkness of night, and a sweet ton of gore.


I can't really say too much about the film without spoiling things so I'm going to let the trailer speak for itself for the most part.  Suffice to say, I did enjoy watching the film for it's more baser elements as well as it's look and feel.  It has a great synth score that almost had me thinking of it as as supernatural spin on John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13, in feeling only of course, and as I said before Liam Cunningham is probably one of the most effortless show stealers.  It's also got one hell of a third act full of psychotic biblical quotation, shot gun blasts, fire, a maniacal performance by Douglas Russell, and an endearingly creepy twist of fate.  It's on Netflix so give it a look.


No comments:

Post a Comment